Going on a road trip is a great way to see the world on your own terms and make memories that will last a lifetime. But there are some roads that are best left untraveled, and we don’t mean that metaphorically.
Check out these wildly dangerous roadways from around the world. They will turn your knuckles white. Buckle up!
1. Pusbio, Italy: Many bicyclists have tragically lost their lives plummeting off the sides of this steep and narrow Northern Italian road.
2. The Himalayan Roads: The sharp angles make this road nearly impossible for all but the most nimble vehicles.
3. James Dalton Highway, Alaska: Forget the ice, this Alaskan highway actually has stone storms. Yes, that is just as bad as it sounds.
4. North Yungas Road, Bolivia: This windy road is called “path of death” by the locals. You can see why.
5. The Taroko Road, Taiwan: Built into a mountainside, this is an impressive feat of engineering. But it’s low visibility makes it perilous for drivers.
6. The Guoliang Tunnel Road: This road in China features one of the world’s longest tunnels. It’s also so dangerous that not even locals will drive on it if they have a choice.
7. Skipper’s Canyon Road, New Zealand: It might be beautiful to behold, but the untended gravel roads make it a nightmare to drive.
8. Fairy Meadows, Pakistan: This road is almost never tended, and deadly rock slides are a frequent occurrence.
9. The Luxor-al-Hurghada, Egypt: The sandy conditions making driving on this road difficult. But it’s the bands of robbers who attack and steal from cars who are the bigger threat.
10. The Halsema Highway, The Philippines: At 7,400 miles above sea level, the altitude will get you if the terrible conditions don’t do it first.
11. The Barton Road, Australia: This busy road down under could seriously benefit from some pothole maintenance and a few barriers.
12. The A726, England: This English road is infamous for its head-on collisions.
13. The A682, England: These steep and winding road is as dangerous as they come. It’s practically a roller coaster…
14. The Sichuan-Tibet Highway, China: The most terrifying thing about this particular road is how many rivers you are expected to drive through.
15. The A44, England: This highly trafficked and congested road has one of the highest accident rates in the world.
16. The Pan American Highway, North and South America: Though the name suggests otherwise, is actually a massive network of roads that covers over 30,000 kilometers.
17. The Perdikaki-Patiopoulo, Greece: This famous road is known for its stunning views and its jack-knife inspiring turns.
18. Cotopaxi Volcano Road, Ecuador: This harrowing road is named for the nearby dormant volcano.
19. Highway One, Mexico: This dangerous road runs from Tijuana to San Diego. In addition to poor conditions, there’s a lot of crime to be wary of.
20. Stelvio Pass, Italy: This perilous path crosses the jagged peaks of the Alps, and the steep climb makes for a tricky drive to say the least.
21. Atlantic Ocean Road, Norway: This harrowing stretch of highway is the only way for the residents of a Norwegian archipelago to reach the mainland. Imagine if this was your commute!
These roads are really striking, but I think I’d rather see them from the safety of an airplane.
Share these deadly roadways with your friends!
A Brief Word From Our Sponsors...