Imagine your day job was assembling IKEA furniture… every. single. day. You just have a bunch of wood pieces that are different sizes and different thicknesses, plus a sheet of directions with random letters and arrows that point to nowhere. That’s a hard job.
That’s kind of what construction workers do for a living. But, they’re often building structures like bridges, buildings, or roads — not exactly corner bookshelves. Still, they’re only human, and sometimes, frustration or carelessness takes over and that can lead to some hilarious construction fails…
1. “Oh you’re telling me that North is that way? I thought it was that way…” This has to be what these architects and construction workers are talking about while standing on the edge of their really big mistake. Guess they have to start over now.
2. Which was built first, the staircase or the pillar? Sure, that’s one question you could ask, the other would be who on Earth thought this plan was a good one?
3. To work on a construction site you have to go through some form of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) training, but you don’t learn how to handle a live alligator.
4. Urban development is on trend nowadays; luxury buildings with key amenities for smaller living spaces are all the rage. Placing the playground on the roof is genius, but aiming the slide off of the building might violate a building code or two…
5. This escalator was built for functionality as well as fun. As you approach the ceiling, you get to engage in an extreme game of limbo. “How low can you go?” Better be low enough to clear that ceiling, otherwise, the limbo isn’t the only thing getting rocked…
6. Some might see this construction design as a fail, but it’s actually a really smart design. The ATM was built out of reach to help you be more fiscally responsible. If you can’t reach the ATM, then you can’t take out money. Happy mistake?
7. Parkour is sweeping across countries all over the world. This apartment complex specifically built its outdoor hallways so that its residents could engage in the sport… at least that’s what the construction company told the owners when they completely messed up.
8. Construction workers handle heavy machinery anytime they’re on-site, so there are specific procedures and safety measures they have to follow. It’s clear that a worker goofed up. Maybe no one will notice.
9. A similar thought might go through your mind when you see something like this. Was the bridge constructed as a decorative piece, or were the pools supposed to connect under the bridge?
10. This construction worker seems to have forgotten how to connect PVC piping. Do you twist them together? Do you glue them together? Maybe you just place them on your arms like this. Yeah, this seems right.
11. When you don’t have a table for your circular saw, grab your best friend — they’re the next best thing. It isn’t like there is a table directly behind you or anything, but this is definitely quick thinking at its finest.
12. Construction workers oftentimes have to think on their feet. When this part of campus flooded, students couldn’t get to their classes for days. The solution? Throw some cinder blocks and some boards down and call it a day.
13. You get your bathroom remodeled and the contractor leaves after a hard day’s work. You go to use your brand new bathroom only to find that you can’t actually close the door. So much for privacy.
14. Something doesn’t look right about this situation right here. Does it just stay there like that, or are they going to get another expensive machine to try and retrieve the expensive machine they flipped over into a trench?
15. Either there is an invisible driveway attached to this garage, or the contractor messed up big time. Maybe if this was the year 2121 it would be a great place to park your flying car, but for now, we’ll chalk this up to one major screw up.
16. This construction fail is completely baffling. We’ve heard of stairs to nowhere, but ramps to nowhere are totally different. Don’t plan to ride your bike up it, you’ll just get stuck at the top.
17. It’s hard to believe that the contractor finished the project, looked at their work, and thought, “Yep, this is good.” At the very least, your face is covered so bathroom patrons can’t see your embarrassment.
18. At first glance, this door looks just like any other door you’ve seen before. Until you stare at it long enough and realize that it’s upside down! Theoretically, it should still function the same, you’ll just look like a fool when you squat to see who’s at the door.
19. In an effort to skip installing sink piping, this contractor just placed the sink above a urinal. That way, the water from the sink will drain into the urinal AND it will rinse the urinal all at the same time. We see the logic behind this… kind of.
20. This contractor had the best intentions at heart when constructing this fail. They simply wanted to give burglars an extra hard time trying to get into this attic! You might argue that any level of security is better than none, but after you see what’s next, you might rethink that stance…
21. Looks like no one at this office is concerned with unannounced visitors getting into this door. Hopefully, a security guard is sitting on the opposite side, or else this place is just begging for unwanted intruders.
22. Why did the person who installed this electronic gate think it wasn’t necessary to include a fence or even a small hut with a guard? At least plant some bushes along the path so cars can’t simply cut around the gate with such ease!
23. Who exactly does this snoozing security guard think he’s tricking? This guy needs to get more sleep at night because if there is an actual emergency, Johnny Cardboard-Cutout isn’t going to be much help.
24. This had to have been a joke, and hopefully whoever drew the picture of the lock doesn’t actually have anything of value in their cabinets. All it would take is a light tug from anyone, and this “security” system would come undone.
25. The people who want all the merchandise inside this store to stay safe better hope that every single person with sticky fingers who walks by is illiterate. Otherwise, the employees will show up for work one day, and everything will be long gone.
26. Most people try to prevent their cars from getting stolen by using a mechanism on the steering wheels or getting a loud car alarm installed. Apparently, this person just wanted to make sure his doors weren’t mischievously opened.
27. They should at least paint the duct tape that’s holding this ATM closed so people don’t immediately realize they can walk right up and take all the cash from this machine. Maybe it’s a secret trap to lure thieves?
28. This person has the right idea… well, kind of. At least they’re trying to prevent their car from being stolen, but in truth, those chains wold probably snap as soon as the vehicle’s wheels started putting pressure on them.
29. “Hang on one second while I secure my bicycle to the very thin and movable leg of this sign.” This person should not be surprised if they come out of the store and realize they’re going to be walking home.
30. One look at this security blunder makes you wonder if the owner of this locker knows they need a device with a combination or a key. All it takes is a simple press of the silver safety bar to steal everything inside.
31. This driver took their car security to the extreme! What’s funny is that this Toyota Corolla hatchback isn’t exactly the kind of vehicle that needs so much protection. They should keep the chains at home until they show up in a Porsche.
32. Are people actually supposed to stop and wait in line behind this lonely turnstile when they can clearly walk right past it? No security badges or identification required to get past this “fool-proof” protection, huh?
33. Any seeing person can clearly tell these people don’t really care too much about their home security. The gate seems like it’s more for looks, but even if it is, it’s a bizarre-looking decoration to have in a front yard.
34. This guy better always remember to lock his gate when he leaves just in case someone tries to break in while simultaneously not realizing they can simply walk around to the other side in less than one second.
35. Here’s another car owner who thought they found a surefire way to prevent people from hopping into the driver’s seat and speeding off. They’d better not forget the chain is attached when they drive away, or they’ll be picking up pieces of their bumper off the road.
36. This might be the silliest attempt at keeping this moped safe from thieves. At least the owner can take comfort in the fact that if someone did remove the chain from the metal stud, the front wheel still wouldn’t spin.
37. Guess which four numbers make up the code to get into this door? Here’s a hint: they’re the ones that are scratched off. Someone needs to change this code every once in a while or else they might have to replace a whole lot of their belongings at some point!
38. It doesn’t seem like this person knows how drawers work. As you can see, all it takes is removing the drawer above the locked one to gain complete access to the bottom one. Brilliant.
39. Unless the person trying to break into this gate is incapable of walking, they can simply hop right over the metal railing on the side. Hopefully, this place has security cameras, because the residents might be seeing a lot of unwelcome visitors.
40. Anyone with the ability to lift 15 pounds could steal this piece of rolling merchandise. It almost seems like whoever owns this bike is trying to entice someone to steal it so they have an excuse to get a new one.