*RING!* Waking up to the shriek of an alarm clock stinks. Slapping that snooze button for the fifth time in a row feels necessary, but can’t be good for your overall health. Well, rest assured, there’s hope for us sleepyheads after all.
Celebrities roll out of bed begrudgingly just like everyone else, but they manage to make the most out of their days. So maybe — just maybe — by adopting some of these 20 celebrities’ tried-and-true morning routines, we might stop slapping “snooze” and start our days on the track to success…
1. Barack Obama – Skips Coffee: The former Commander-in-Chief accomplishes more in a day than most people probably do in a week, and all without a single drop of coffee. Instead, when Barry rolls out of bed, he opts for green tea, orange juice, and plenty of water.
2. Richard Branson – Spends Time With Family: Waking up a billionaire has got to feel better than any green juice on the planet. But, the magnate chooses to start the day like a regular joe — by chatting with his family. Studies prove some quality fam time reduces stress and extends your life too!
Richard Branson / Instagram
3. Mark Zuckerberg – Limits Options: Like Branson, the Facebook founder could turn morning hours into pampered luxury. But, he takes a different approach and eliminates decisions. Zuckerberg’s closet consists of about 20 identical t-shirts. Having fewer choices cuts down on decision fatigue and allows him to focus energy on more important things.
Mark Zuckerberg / Instagram
4. Oprah – Meditates: After climbing out of her billion thread count sheets, Oprah settles into 20 minutes of sitting meditation. Her twice daily zen reflections fill her with hope, a sense of contentment, and deep joy. With Oprah’s level of success, she might be on to something, but for some of us, it sounds like a temptation to fall back to sleep…
5. Julianne Hough – Expresses Gratitude: On another end of the spiritual spectrum, Julianne begins her mornings by sitting up in bed and listing five things she’s grateful for. She also makes small positive goals for the day. For instance, making 10 people smile.
Julianne Hough / Instagram
6. Lea Michele – Takes a Steam Bath: After a quick cup of coffee, the Glee songstress devotes ample time to a steam shower. No matter how packed her schedule, she never skips it. Steaming de-puffs and detoxifies the body and preps Lea to hit those high notes.
Lea Michele / Instagram
7. Kate Hudson – Puts Her Face in Ice: Nothing can cure the snooze button spiral like a bowl of ice to the face. Skincare queen Kate Hudson begins the day with a jolt, holding her face in a bowl of ice cubes and a bit of water for as long as she can stand. Adopting this trick from a makeup artist, it also softens skin and gives a fresh glow!
8. Chip and Joanna Gaines – Head Outdoors: The husband and wife duo starts their mornings quite early, between 4-6 am, and head outside. Each day begins with freshly picked fruit and veggies — or eggs from their chickens — to make a big breakfast for their family of five.
Joanna Stevens Gaines / Instagram
9. Jennifer Aniston – Wakes up Early: The early bird gets the worm, and Jennifer Aniston wakes up before both of them — her day starts at 4:30 am! She uses the early hours for much needed “me” time, by first washing her face, sipping hot lemon water, and meditating.
10. Brittany Snow – Listens to Music: Morning grumps, rejoice! If you struggle to get out of bed like Brittany Snow, curating a pump-up playlist might be the tonic you need. The Pitch Perfect star blasts carefully selected mood-boosting songs on speakers throughout her house to set her up for the day.
Brittany Snow / Instagram
11. Tim Ferriss – Accomplishes Small Goals: The self-help guru follows a mantra: win the morning, win the day. According to Ferriss, the easiest way to set yourself up for success is with simplicity. Each morning begins with Tim making his bed. Now no matter what the day throws his way, he has accomplished a small, realistic, yet satisfying, task.
Tim Ferriss / Instagram
12. Kim Kardashian – Talks to Her Kids: Like a lot of the others on this list, Kim rises and shines pretty early. You might have thought her routine was packed with beauty regimens, but she starts her day trying to sneak in a quick breakfast before her kids wake up. Then, she slides into her youngster’s beds and they have a nice conversation.
Kim Kardashian / Instagram
13. Jessica Alba – Works Out With Friends: Finding the motivation to exercise in the morning is nearly impossible, but Jessica Alba devised a solution. She relies on her buddies to pump her up! After waking up, Jessica heads to a work out class with her pals, and they help make sweating fun — instead of a dreaded chore.
14. Gloria Steinem – Gets the News: Feminist icons have to keep updated on current events the same way as everybody else. Steinem listens to the headlines while getting ready in her bathroom. Then she eats scrambled eggs and heads to her favorite deli for a chai latte.
Damn Ugly Photography
15. David Karp – Avoids Email: Another internet mogul, Tumblr CEO David Karp, strategized the best method for morning management. He ignores all emails until he gets to the office. Most work-related problems aren’t easily solved at home, so his staff knows he won’t answer until the workday begins.
16. Lauren Conrad – Oil Cleanses: Morning breath is enemy number one for The Hills star Lauren Conrad. Feeling a toothbrush wasn’t effective enough to achieve the freshness she’s chasing, LC began oil pulling. She spends 20 minutes swishing coconut oil, which kills bacteria and leaves her breath smelling faintly like the shores of Laguna Beach.
17. Simon Cowell – Eats Breakfast in Bed: Crushing the dreams of the untalented can really wipe a guy out, so when Simon Cowell opens his eyes each morning, he likes to be pampered. After hitting that snooze button precisely twice, his housekeeper brings him an aesthetically pleasing tray of smoothies, oatmeal, and papaya juice with lime.
18. Anna Wintour – Plays Tennis: Nothing releases pent up aggression like a walloping tennis serve. Vogue’s editor-in-chief heads to the court every morning at 6:45 am, and after an hour-long match, she heads to the salon to have her signature bob perfectly styled.
19. Martha Stewart – Begins With Business: Unlike some of the other successful people on this list, Martha is all business. She rises around 4:30, and her first priority is checking to make sure her blog has been posted. Gulp, being her employee must be high stress! But, hey, you don’t get to be Snoop Dog’s best friend without having a gangster’s dedication to the game.
20. Steve Jobs – Dream Big: The Apple magnate once said, “If today was the last day of my life, would I want to do what I’m doing today?” When the answer was no too frequently, he made a change. Refocusing on his dreams on a daily basis helped Jobs choose which directions to take to build his empire.
photojacker / Reddit
The reason we are so often fascinated with celebrities is that they’re actually just like us, but with more obvious quirks and more money to spend. But what else are these stars up to after that first cup of joe?
1. Miley Cyrus runs a petting zoo: We love a girl who is crazy about animals and takes in a lot of pets, but they do have to be house trained, and that’s not something for which Miley seems to have time. A lot of her animal friends “go” wherever they want, whenever they want, and it’s pretty hard to clean. Oh, Miley.
2. Britney Spears keeps some rations under her bed: According to Britbrit’s housekeeper, she keeps quite a few leftovers on the floor, under the mattress, and even in the sheets. In 2010, the cleaner revealed she had found half-eaten burgers, fries, and full cookies in the princess of pop’s sleeping quarters.
3. Ariana Grande gets carried away: This will probably not come as a surprise to anyone, but Ari likes to be treated like a princess. When she gets tired of walking, she often requests to be carried like a baby by both her bodyguards and her boyfriends.
4. Christian Bale takes his role a little too seriously: Bale’s publicist and personal assistant has let it slip that he has a little obsession with his own favorite character Patrick Bateman. He likes to call friends and family up and go full American Psycho, complete with an “iiiiit’s Patrick!” greeting. Scary…
5. Beyoncé has some magic tricks up her sleeve: Queen Bey’s ex-drummer, Kimberley Thompson, has accused her of using witchcraft and has filed a restraining order against her, accusing her of using dark magic to tap her phone and look into her finances. Could Bey really have yet another hidden talent?
6. Demi Moore likes to see herself in a certain light: While Demi looks amazing, she is over 55 years of age, right about the time that women become self-conscious of their aging appearance. Maybe that’s why she likes to keep a low light throughout her house, even though she has nothing to worry about.
7. Michael Jackson snuck around with a special someone: MJ’s bodyguard, Matt Fiddes, was considered a friend to the Jackson family, so it’s not unlikely he would know about the King Of Pop having an affair with no one other than Whitney Houston!
8. Reese Witherspoon is a dream employer: What doesn’t this woman do perfectly? Despite having 3 children, Reese keeps her household very tidy herself so the cleaning isn’t bad at all. She also pays very well and gives her staff all of her old clothes and other items. Go, Reese!
9. Johnny Depp lives with the ghost of careers past: While Johnny’s career is not exactly thriving nowadays, he does like to stroll down memory lane, a.k.a. his closet, and walk around in old costumes made for him during movie shoots. Why doesn’t this seem at all surprising?
10. Tom Cruise is hard to please: The Mission Impossible star has given his staff an impossible mission — he basically wants his home run like a hotel, with fresh sheets every day and staff at his beck and call. There are certain parts of his home that even his ex-wife Katie Holmes wasn’t allowed to use. Oof…
11. Naomi Campbell, more like Naomi Candle: The housekeepers and personal assistant for this infamous supermodel are constantly worried they will mess up her candle placement. Naomi is obsessed with lily-scented candles and needs at least 25 in every hotel suite she stays in. Try not to trigger that fire alarm!
12. Jim Carrey is all over the place: While his mental illness and substance abuse were incredibly hard on the master comedian, it wasn’t easy on his staff, either. They said his moods were entirely unpredictable, keeping everyone on their toes. Luckily, he has been healthier lately, because we love a happy Jim!
13. Jennifer Lopez is a bit of a cheapskate: This singer, dancer, and actress may be known to the masses as J-Lo, but she is known to Hollywood housekeepers as Pay-Low. While Jenny from the block has clearly broadened her finances, she only pays about half what other celebs in the area do. Come on, girl, you know the struggle!
14. Jessica Simpson: She is famous for her hair extensions — not just the ones she wears in her hair, but even the ones she sells! That’s right, she has her own line of long locks. However, she tends to leave her own and her samples all over her house. It must be pretty strange to clean up whole bunches of human hair!
15. Kristen Stewart is smoking: Maybe the actress is always so cool and collected because her cigarettes keep her calm, but her housekeepers sure aren’t happy about it. According to them, she leaves the butts everywhere, even inside the fridge once. Keep track of your butts, K-stew!
16. Selena Gomez doesn’t come and get it: This former Disney star doesn’t clean up after herself at all. Both a former personal assistant and housekeeper confirmed that it only takes Selena 24 hours to completely trash a hotel room.
17. Kanye West has an attitude (again): Kanye doesn’t really seem to like many people other than President Trump and his own wife, Kim Kardashian. When he saw his bodyguard talking to Kim K, he became jealous and instantly fired him.
18. Taylor Swift is a cat lady: If you’ve ever seen T-Swift’s Instagram, you know that she loves showing off her Scottish folds, but lately, things have gone a little further than that. She now keeps cat sweaters, cat paintings, cat mugs, cat pillows, and every other feline-themed item she can find in her house. Meow!
19. Ryan Gosling’s seen The Exorcist too much: According to this Hollywood heavyweight’s former cleaning staff, Ryan loved keeping them on their toes, doing odd things like walking down the stairs on all fours.
20. Cindy Crawford is generous: This supermodel isn’t just all good looks, she’s also one heck of a boss! After being a gifted a Chevy after shooting a commercial, she gave it away to her housekeeper.